What is Zippie?
Zippie BVI is a blockchain company working to modernise the traditional mobile operating system (OS) industry by developing a web-based OS solution that provides a series of applications and services to interact with any mobile operating system and blockchain network directly from the browser.
What is the Zippie ecosystem?
The Zippie ecosystem is defined by a mobile OS and the following components:
- Zippie Apps: an application layer for built-in and 3rd party apps/dApps and services. It provides onboarding, wallet, explorer among other application services to app developers.
- Zippie APIs: an API layer to Zippie services. It allows access to both open source and proprietary services developed by Zippie.
- Zippie Services: a services layer to the Zippie OS. It allows developers to re-utilise services that enhance their applications while abstracting away the complex components from end-users, such as key management, identity management, gas utilisation among others. There are two categories of services: open source and proprietary. Proprietary services are licensed and run under Zippie servers.
- Backend Systems and Network: a protocol layer that allows the interaction of the Zippie OS with the Ethereum blockchain, distributed systems an d Zippie servers.
What is a web based mobile OS?
In short, a web based mobile operating system is a full-stack mobile environment which interacts with decentralised protocols, mobile applications and web3 services. Zippie OS is also built from the ground up to be compatible with existing mobile and desktop operating systems (e.g Android, iOS) through any web browser interface. Additionally, Zippie supports web3 modules and underlying blockchain and file system services such as IPFS.
How does it work?
In a nutshell, the Zippie OS connects developers and app users via a fast user onboarding and app utilisation experience. To function, the platform provides a set of key features:
- Onboarding: Developers onboard new users to their application in a fast sign-up process using any browser. In the sign up, users get a wallet and identity access to the OS. Private keys are split between the user’s device and Zippie backend servers to allow recovery without user backup needed.
- Explorer and marketplace: Users gain in-browser access to the applications in the Zippie ecosystem and use the same wallet and identity credentials to access and transact tokens between applications.
- Zippie card: Through the OS card services users may choose to securely store their identity and wallet keys in a hardware card for recovery in case of lost device. The card also allows the confirmation of large transactions.
Additionally, the Zippie OS provides for developers a set of re-deployable features such as wallet, identity, key management, among others which will be covered in the documentation.
Why is it valuable?
By relying on the Zippie mobile OS architecture, developers can easily onboard both traditional mobile applications and decentralised apps (dApps) in a blockchain-based ecosystem, while managing keys and identity in a decentralised and cryptographically secure way. Zippie OS is:
- Easy to setup - simple installations and you are ready to go
- Easy to use - simple API methods to get you started
- Tailored to developer needs - anyone with web development experience can build applications and onboard users.